Sunday, December 4, 2011

Sight-seeing....on a Rainy day.


(Discalimer :Parental Alert- you have to be 18 years and above to read the contents of this post. All Characters/names and incidents are purely imaginative and a work of fiction. Read at your own Risk)

Madras where I live has a very brief rainy season- it lasts at the most a couple of weeks. And hence when the rains finally turn up- we have learnt to enjoy it to the full. One of the greatest pleasures of a damp and rainy day is to curl up in bed with a spine-chilling horror novel- one of the old classics would do fine. If you really have to go out on a rainy day....I prefer to travel in the car with all windows closed. Thats because the rains have a peculiar effect on me- they make me very horny- especially when I am commuting in the city and on all the roads, wherever I look, there are happy couples going about on motorbikes, the girls sitting behind with wet clothes and draped on the guys like a close fitting garment- suggesting all sorts of things to my fertile imagination....HA! the travails of being a Single Male......

My dad, on the other hand has certain peculiar ideas of how to spend time on a rainy sunday morning- regardless of my protestations at being denied my usual sunday-sleep-a-thon. He wanted me to go see a girl- the usual girl-seeing ceremony- early on a sunday morning. This was the first I had heard about it- and when I asked him for details- he replied curtly (in his usual way)- the horoscopes had matched and if I wanted to see the girl- I had to get ready and come in person, 'cause they werent handing out any photographs of the girl, they were very traditional.

And so we went, all three of us (plus the driver)....my mom jabbering at how I always seemed to choose the worst possible dress to wear to girl-seeing- out of my entire wardrobe. I gradually tuned out my mother’s droning and looked out the window -just as a sleek and slim female body slid by my slow moving car in a flash; accelerating smoothly past, on a Honda Activa bike, raising my lust quotient up by a hundredfold in an instant and just as I glared hard in her direction she had melted into the rain-fed distance leaving me with an instant hard-on, which I had to get rid of, as soon as possible. For, just think of the questions on the brides family’s mind if the groom turned up for the girl-seeing ceremony with a humongous erection clearly visible in his all-too tight pants; as my mom insisted that I always wear the smallest sized pants I had- to minimize the size of my waist which to put it mildly - was a sign of my growing prosperity and professional success…I shook my head to clear that girl on the bike but couldn’t get rid of her. If the world was coming to an end by 2012 as the climate change people kept screaming, that was the kind of female body I wanted to spend the end of days with..

Anyway, we finally reached Tiruvanmiyur and alighted at the girls house, with the confirmation being a plaque reading "Dr.V******, Prof (retd) Veternary college, Chennai". They were waiting out at the door- the parents of the girl. The girl's father seemed a decent sort, a short, skinny guy - but totally mismatched by his wife...she was tall, fair and an absolutely well-preserved lady in her early forties. If aunty was any indication- the girl must be a stunner, I thought, my hopes soaring with every second. And then we were invited inside and seated on a low comfortable sofa in the drawing room by the girls mother. As the elders exchanged pleasantries on nothing, I leant back and waited with bated breath -for the ordeal to start. And then like a breath of fresh air- a tall, slim, sexy, beautiful girl in a simple salwar, with minimal jewellery and absolutely no make-up, wafted in with a plate of eatables and went about distributing it to everyone in the room.

So, this divinity was who I had to come to see? I felt a thump in my heart as I stared star-struck at her and she handed over to me a plate of sweets and savouries. My hand shook as I reached out to accept the plate from her and as I accidentally touched a finger of hers, an electric current shot through me. And as she handed it over she glanced at me and gave me a smile. It wasn’t a coy, half-smile, it was a full-on beaming grin. Maybe she was just amused at my reaction on seeing her – the way I was salivating in her presence. But of course, I couldn’t help it, she was that beautiful. As she finished serving everyone and moved on into the house I leant back with a shame-faced grin on my face. This, this, was the moment I had been looking for. This was my ideal match for marriage. That sweet smile playing on her lips as she handed my plate, that meaningful look in her doe-like eyes, that, oh so, innocently contrived touching of feathers, everything indicated her approval of me. I was in heaven. If I had a mangalsutra in my hands right then, I was ready to tie it on her neck at that very instant.

And then tragedy struck- by the un-looked for entrance of yet another girl, who came and sat in the chair right opposite us. I made the connection immediately- this was the original piece, the girl I had come to see, the other must have been a servant maid. Tall and well built ( a bit too much) this girl was clad in the proper dress- the traditional Kanchevaram silk Saree, heavily draped with jewels, and had a thick coating of make-up which just coudnt hide the fact that she was a little (to put it mildly) mature and manly, with a forbidding expression on her face- as if she hated the very thought of this ceremony. 

My head was all in a whirl. I felt like I had been double punched by Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield in tandem. And I could feel the Titanic of my Love slowly sinking beneath the cold waters of the Atlantic, after having crashed on this ice-berg sitting opposite me. And then my mother had her usual "oops" moment. My mom had been busy in a discussion with aunty, who was sitting on the other side of her. And now she turned around to the girl in front and asked "Is this your elder daughter? how many kids does she have and what does her husband do?" ....... The silence which followed this question must have lasted for mere seconds but felt like eons as I sat there cringing at my mothers statement. She had made the fundamental but unpardonable mistake of confusing the two girls, but all I could hear - were the sound of those airliners crashing into the Twin towers of my life.

 And then the girl's father started protesting volubly “No, no this is Subashini the girl you have come to see, she is working at Sify Communications as a networking engineer....The other one who came first is my younger daughter Sushmitha, she is very young, she is just doing her final year engineering in Rajalakshmi engineering college”. My mother immediately realized her mistake but nevertheless ploughed on blustering bravely “Sorry, I didn’t see the photo- you didn’t send us the photos- so we couldn’t recognize the girl" . All perfectly true, but made no iota of difference to the major blunder she had made. 

I thought, I had maybe one chance to put things right- I could ask to speak to the girl in private and apologize profusely for my mother’s mistake (everything except falling at her feet if necessary). But the girl had gone in by then and her father turned down my request saying they were a very traditional family and their blasted traditions did not allow it. So we escaped out of there- with our tails between our legs- and as we travelled back- the entire car was filled with a gloomy atmosphere. My mom couldn’t bear the silence and finally blurted out in a defensively belligerent tone “What? She looked so mature didn’t she? Like a woman who had already borne children and not like an unmarried girl...." After a minute I said "Mom" in an exasperated tone "That was un-called for" She thought it over and then said "Ok,  we will go home and then call them up and apologize" My dad said at that juncture "Better to leave it alone for a couple of days and then we can call....the wound will have time to heal". So we all agreed to that.

Meanwhile i thought to myself that I would have to lie low for the next couple of weeks, change my route and so on- to avoid the contract -killers that girl was sure to hire to get me......

The things my parents do......and the problems they get me into....

6 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I happened to go through your blog a couple of days back and was impressed. Let me get straight to the point. We have a forum at www.chennaichatter.com exclusively for Chennai-ites where we discuss various issues pertaining to Chennai and the nation. I think it would be great if you join us and take part in the debates. It would add a whole new class to the discussions.

    Have a great day!
    Thomson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My experience with Mohan's eye clinic, Nungambakkam, where the stickers will be pasted on shoulders P - Patient A- Attender.

    May be such an approach might be of help in your case.

    avan avan facebook-la friend request kuduthutu than ponnu parkave poran.. neenga enna na... ippadi mookai vangi irrukengale boss..

    ReplyDelete
  3. enna panradhu Jothi.....veetla appa romba strict (and old fashioned type)...anyway -time ennum varala...enn dream girl'a meet panna.....appadi dhan naan eduthukuraen

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Ganesh - from your posts, you come across as a person with your own ideas. While you express yourself without any inhibition on your blog, you might be a wee bit inhibited in person. This is probably more so with your parents, the aim being to be a good son. You're a doctor with a PG and probably with a super-specialization; so you must be more than able to make decisions regarding your future life partner. I'd very seriously advise you to make your own choice in this regard.
    I wanted to say something, but am not able to put that across in a cogent fashion.

    Now, I have a question: If left to your own resources (no sight-seeing or appa/amma help/intervention) to find a life partner / mate, how successful do you think you'd be? Of course, online searches om matrimonial sites are allowed.

    A related question: "Do our current generation of boys/girls (you can assume a typical chennai boy/girl) have the required dating skills to find their own mate (life partner)? Maybe a blog post on this?

    -V

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the vote of confidence in me V...and yes, i am a little bit inhibited at home in front of the large joint family i grew up in and my early social conditioning. I still havent figured out a way to break through it yet but maybe if i do find the girl i am looking for that would serve as an incentive to do so. and i love the blog topic..have to ask around a little and do some research on it before i get to it.

    ReplyDelete