Wednesday, October 31, 2012

A Skirt-lifting Cyclone named Nila



As the Cyclone Nila struck my hometown Chennai and everyone my age- you know the school going age?- celebrated a free holiday at home, I was forced to go to work. This is because of my hospital's emergency/disaster management policy, which consists of a simple phrase- put ganesh on-duty. So I had to make my way through the rains and the wind and the empty streets to do my- duty is duty. I actually enjoyed the journey, as the bus I took to work today, while going through the streets resembled a boat floating on the waters. As I hung onto the last step of the bus (called foot-boarding), every wave which sloshed up the steps of the bus, wet my ankles and my sandals giving me a feeling of being at the beach. I had previously rolled up my trouser legs to prevent it getting wet and as I also wore all black to prevent any accidental splashing by passing cars, I must have looked a strange and bedraggled sight by the time I reached my work place.



Thankfully, work was a total hoot today. There were no patients around all day. I mean who in the right minds would come to visit a hospital in the midst of a cyclone? I spent most of my time online giving regular updates on my joblessness. Also feeling a little like I was in the middle of a vampire movie. Its Halloween, I am sitting all alone in a dark, empty room, the winds and rains lashing around, all perfectly like in a horror movie.  I was looking forward to a vampire jumping out any minute to attack me and was hoping that it would also be a female vampire asking me “can I drink your blood, sweetie”? and I would go on to say “you may not you foul thing, I just donated a pint last week, so go to the blood bank if you need a drink that bad”. Well, imagination, you know, runs riot when you have nothing much to do, or no one to talk to. 



Anyway, at two pm when my duty time was over a nurse rushed over with the glad news that the govt had announced a holiday for the rest of the day starting from 3pm. And I made my home. And here comes the interesting part. On my way back, the rain had abated a little because of what they call the eye of the storm being nearby which means lesser rains and more winds. The wind was blowing, really blowing, hard at everything, pushing me back as I walked forward. For a minute I felt like that scene from the movie Nayagan where Kamalhassan walks into the water spray being directed at him by the villain. Anyhow with all that wind around, the thing I was hoping to see did not happen. Yes ladies and gentlemen, it was perfect skirt-lifting weather. But were there any skirts around? None. It seems not a single Chennai girl was inclined to have her own Marilyn Monroe moment. You missed it, you poor girls. Now you have to wait till next year for the same weather.
The Pics below will tell the story better of what I expected and what I really saw today:












 (Pics Courtesy: google images)

8 comments:

  1. Have to hand it to you- somuch patience .. Finding and uploading all these images.. Phew!! :-))

    And food luck finding a gal on a skirt that showcases maryln like scene .. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google images is pretty intuitive Aarti when you know what exactly you are looking for..so it wasn't that difficult to get those images...and i guess i ahve to wait till the next cyclone for another M.M.

      Delete
  2. LOL @ your conversation with the vampire!!
    And happy hunting for the MM scene! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah!!! Kirsten Stewart....a vampire to have a conversation with...
      And thanks for the wishes..i just have to hang in there till the next cyclone to find my M.M...

      Delete
  3. cyclone to vampires to Marilyn to Kamalhassan...
    sad u had to resort to pics instead of d spotting sum real skirt flyn on d streets of Chennai...lol. u'll make a good writer...fun post


    let's follow each other
    http://myfashionbaye.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks dude....we hope to entertain....and its was really sad..that the fashion scene in chennai has not developed to the extent of wearing short skirts....hope the culture changes soon..
      p.s. when i was in sweden.i used to see short skirts at -10* /-15* Centigrade...but here?

      Delete
  4. I was wondeгing if you ever considered changing the page layout of your site?
    Its vеrу wеll written; I love
    what уouve got to ѕay. But maybe you could
    a little moгe in the way of content ѕо реople could conneсt wіth it better.
    Youve got an awful lot of text for onlу hаѵіng 1 or two іmagеѕ.

    Maуbe уou could space it out bettеr?

    Herе is my ωеb blοg; aurawave reviews
    My webpage :: Aurawave

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dо you have any viԁeo of that?
    I'd care to find out more details.
    Have a look at my weblog - Blu Cig

    ReplyDelete