Wednesday, February 20, 2013

And Thats How We Do It.- A One Act Play…



And Thats How We Do It.- A One Act Play…



Act 1. Scene1. Actors 1 & 2- Both Male

[A dimly lit room with a large desk and a well built elderly man sitting behind it peering owlishly through thick glasses at the chair opposite. A call comes on the desk phone and he grunts into it. A knock on the door and he looks up]

No.1. Hello come on in. please sit down. Now tell me, what can I do for you?

No.2. Sir, I am leaving. I have come to hand in my one months notice for resignation.

No.1. What? You are resigning? But why? Why all of a sudden?

No.2. It isn’t sudden. I have been thinking over this for some time. This job is taking too much of my time and I am not able to concentrate on other important things like family.

No1. But. This isn’t new to any of us right? We all knew what we were getting in to right when we signed up didn’t we? And at this stage of your career to make such a move is strange.

No.2. I don’t think so sir. I have gained sufficient from life. Now its time to give something back. I want to do something new and exciting. I want to teach. I want to pass on my knowledge to the next generation. Do my bit for society and the profession. So if you could just act on my resignation.

No1. Well if you really insist. Teaching uh? Where?

No.2. Well, havent decided yet.

No.1. Where? come on, you can tell me....an American university right?

No.2. Canada actually..

No.1. of course ...can we do anything to help you change your mind? i will double your pay. If you stay.

No.2. still you won’t be able to reach the dollar rates they are offering. i am will be getting more money per year there than i can make here in 5 years or even 10.

No.1. ok...if you have decided than nothing i say is going to change you. I will be sorry to lose someone like you. if everyone of us goes away abroad....(shakes head)

No.2. can I go now? I have still lots of things to do to wind up here.

No.1. ok you can go now.



Act1.Scene 2. Actors 1 & 3- Both Male

[ No1. Barks into the desk phone. "Send in the next person please"]

No.1. Yes.

No.3. 'Evening Sir.

No.1. Come on in. please sit down. Now tell me, what can I do for you?

No.3. Sir, I am leaving. I have come to hand in my one months notice for resignation.

No.1.What? You are resigning? But why? Why all of a sudden?

No.3. It isn’t sudden. I have been thinking over this for some time. I am going to give up all this and become a monk.

No.1. A monk? Like in religious?

No.3. Yes Sir. A spiritual life is calling me. i am going to dedicate myself to it. i want to do something good for society.

No.1. your chief was here just now. And I will make the same offer to you as i did to him. I will double your salary and make you chief .

No.3. uh..oh..hmm...Ok... I guess i can always become a monk next year.

No.1. ok then. come back tomorrow...

No.3. And that’s how we do it.

[And so it goes]

...........Curtains............









No comments:

Post a Comment